Saturday, August 24, 2013

Connections

Below is a review I wrote for my university newspaper. The film really made me think about relationships in my own life. Just had to share! ~jdl

A short film called "I Forgot My Phone" published on YouTube this week has gone viral after only a day. Although the film is barely over two minutes, its message appears longer lasting. What is it about this short film that has people talking?

The film portray a young woman who goes through the day without her phone while everyone else in her life seems glued to theirs. Everywhere she turns to connect with others, she finds phones have become a sort of barrier to true connection.  Friends and strangers alike appear pathetic as they desperately attempt to virtually connect to others or capture memories, while in reality missing out on the ‘real’ connections and memories before them.

Director Miles Crawford and writer-star Charlene deGuzman attempt to portray through this short film how 'disconnected' we really are in such a constantly connected world.




The worst solitude is to have no real friendships. ~Francis Bacon



No comments:

Post a Comment